At St Martin’s School we believe that homework is a vital link in the working partnership between children, parents and staff. Worthwhile tasks that are completed at home enable children to appreciate the help and support of their families and enables parents to be involved in their children’s education. It also has an important role to play in reinforcing and extending the learning and teaching that has taken place in the classroom.
Purposes of Home Learning
• To foster a close link between parents /school and the wider community in order to inform and encourage participation.
• To widen pupils’ learning experiences and to raise the awareness of parents to the availability and variety of additional learning resources e.g. library, ICT, seeking the experiences of others.
• To reinforce, consolidate and extend the learning experience within the classroom and to help teachers monitor the effectiveness of this
• To promote self-confidence and responsibility in planning, organising and delivering through independent learning
• To complete unfinished work when appropriate.
At St Martin’s School we appreciate the parental and pupils attitudes and expectations of homework vary. We endeavour to set homework which allows for an element of choice as to the amount and depth that each child undertakes.
We have a ‘My Maths’ homework system which allows the children to undertake some of their Numeracy homework on line. We believe that ‘My Maths’ allows the children to work effectively in a fun and creative way.